Tuesday 9 July 2013

Partaking of a Prophesy

We were like vultures and could smell a potential client from miles away. When a person who had been spotted from afar off came nearer and was confirmed to be a passenger, it became a matter of fearful competition to see which driver would be the lucky one. We would jostle among ourselves and each of us had our own technique to attract passengers to our car. The technique I found most effective was by a guy by the name Robert. He used to let us rush to and crowd around the client but he would stand next to his car. As the client came closer, he would open the rear door and say in a cool voice, “Welcome”. Many of my colleagues used to claim that he used witchcraft to woo clients. I thought differently because I could tell that all he had above us was good PR.

One of the most longstanding passenger wooing techniques is the raised forefinger accompanied by the shout, “Taxi!” One group of clients that we used to like were drivers for the big NGOs. They used to drive to base in their huge four wheel drive vehicles fitted with winches and hi-lift jacks. The loudest shouter of “Taxi!” would be asked to follow the NGO driver to his office where he would park the big car and be dropped home in the taxi.

These NGO drivers were so cool and each of us held secret ambitions of one day landing a job as an NGO driver. My own ambition however, was not held so secretly. I would take every opportunity when several of us were at base, to taut my colleagues. I used to tell them that I was with them for only a short while and soon I would join a big NGO. I told them they would raise the ‘Taxi!’ Finger at me and plead with me to let them follow me as I parked my big car. They were not amused and neither did they take me seriously. They dismissed me as a day dreamer. This however did not discourage me, I continued prophesying.

I had a really nice client who I often drove around since she always asked that I be the one to pick her up. She worked for one of the International NGOs but I did not know then what position she held there. We used to have interesting discussions whenever I drove her and every trip seemed too short. One day, one of her workmates who also happened to be my friend informed me that there was an open vacancy for a driver at their organisation. He advised me to apply and try my luck. I sent my application and waited although I didn’t think much about it.

One week later, I received a call. I was being invited for an interview. I was quite nervous as I prepared for the interview since I didn’t know what to expect. The day of the interview arrived soon enough and I set off. I had been told to come in at 10 am but I thought that was just a test (All interviews are held early in the morning – or so I thought). I got to the area at 8 am and waited at a nearby bus stop shelter. At 9 am I walked in only to realize that there were 10 interviewees slotted for grilling and each of us had his own time. I had to wait again and this only helped to turn me into a bag of nerves. After what seemed like ages of nail biting anxiety, it was finally my turn and I was called in.

When I walked in, the first face I saw was of my friend. My favourite passenger was seated there in the company of two other ladies. From the look of things, she appeared to be in charge – which she was. I was to learn later that she was the Human Resource Manager. I managed to relax and the interview went well. The rest as they say is history. I passed the interview despite being failed once in the practical test. The ladies who had interviewed me demanded a second opinion and I was retested by a different person. I had gotten the job and was now no longer a taxi driver. I wondered how my ‘former’ colleagues would react once they realized that my prophesy had come true, and they would have to fight for a chance to drive me home. Only time would tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment