Monday 14 January 2013

The Rude Awakening

When I shifted base to Kosovo, it did not take me long to get into the flow of things. Work in this base was more or less regular and rather predictable. We got to pick up and drop off the same clients at the same places and at the same time literally every day. We were therefore not as edgy as the drivers I had left in Base one. At Base 2 we could finish our stories and even get time to nap. It was a refreshing change from what I had known before and I really started enjoying the work.

After some weeks, I realized that I was almost always free every day between 7 and 8 p.m.  Gradually, this became the window of opportunity to grab my daily nap. It was so regular that I usually started dozing right on cue at 7 every evening. The nap was useful because after that it usually became busy until midnight when work slumped until early morning. My daily nap continued for many weeks until it became a habit – hard to break. It was undisturbed for so long and that led me to take it as my right – until one day!

At 7 p.m. sharp, the radio crackled to life. I was on the verge of shutting down for my daily wink so I answered groggily. The control guy joked about me sounding sleepy but I laughingly dismissed him. I assured him I was good to go. The client I was to pick was not far from Base and I was in his compound in less than ten minutes. He was not one of our regulars. It was actually the first time he was using our company. The place I was picking him up from was his office – the kind that is set up in a residential building. I reached the place and parked. I then got out of the car, walked up to the door and knocked. He answered the door and told me to wait in the car and he would be out in a little while. I went and sat in the car, and dozed off – from where I had left off.

I woke up with a start when the guy opened the passenger door, got in and closed it with a bang. I don’t know how long I had slept but when I awoke, I was very confused. I looked at the man and I could not place him. The compound in which I was parked was not familiar either. I could not remember where I was and I obviously did not know who I was with. In spite of my confusion, I didn't want to ask the client all these questions. I realized that I was looking at the man with shock on my face. I probably looked like a carjack victim. My client just said, “Let’s go”. That jolted me back to reality – although I still didn't know where I was, or who he was.

I bought my time by being very calculated in my movements. I started the car and then backed up slowly. That time my mind was on over-drive, trying to jog my memory. Thankfully, by the time I had aligned the car with the gate (which I had had a problem locating), I had fully woken up and got my bearings back. It was with renewed confidence, as I drove out the gate, that I asked my passenger, “Where would you like to go?”    

No comments:

Post a Comment